Mal Cutler Smash Repairs custom built the original Bash Car 666 and it is named ‘Hamlet’. It has handled many a tough situation over the years – Birdsville Track, Oodnadatta Track, Gunbarrel Highway, Hell’s Gate Highway, Finke River track twice!, Gibb River Road plus lots of gibber plains, bull dust, mud and water crossings. We look forward to more of the Oodnadatta and Strezleckie Track again this year!
See the wet, wild and slippery action, Car 333 ‘styling’ in the mud, on the 2008 Bash Mud Day 3 in this video (Vicki Reed is at the wheel!!!):
Some of the mechanical features are:
- 186 Red Engine
- Twin Holley Carby
- Ford Limited Slip Diff – that makes it go really well in the mud!
- Electronic distributor
- Bash plate to protect the underside of the car
- Raised suspension
- Extra strong shock absorbers
- All fuel and brake lines are reinforced
- Sports exhaust
- Celica Supra 5 speed gear box
- Full cage roll bar – which came in real hand for the Pork Roll year 2000
- VHF Radio for communication with other Bash cars and Officials
- BeaconÂ and fog lights on the roof rack for safety in the dust
Car 333 is currently maintained by Tumbi Tyres n More www.tumbityres.com.au.
Our thanks to Steve (Tumbi) Corney, Sarah Jarvie and the gang that look after the “Go” bits and some of the “Show” bits as well.
It is holding together pretty well – 31 + years of continuous Bashing.